7 Surprising Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin
The presence of a naturally-occurring chemical compound - Curcumin makes turmeric extremely beneficial in terms of improving digestion, providing relief from digestion, arthritis pain and boosting immunity among the human body.
Here are the top 7 surprising health benefits of turmeric and curcumin:
Turmeric has Powerful Medicinal Properties
Turmeric is used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb due to its amazing aroma and health benefits. The recent health studies (1) have also proven that turmeric contains compounds with medicinal properties. Among these compounds, the most important is curcumin.
Curcumin is the most active ingredient in turmeric, which has potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Although, it is not present in turmeric in very high value (approx 3% by weight as per reliable source (2)).
Curcumin has Natural Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Inflammation helps our body repair from damage and fight against pathogens like bacteria.
As per various health studies (3, 4, 5), chronic, low-level inflammation is significant in fighting various severe diseases like heart disease, metabolic syndrome, Alzheimer’s, cancer, and different degenerative conditions.
The presence of curcumin in turmeric makes it very anti-inflammatory without any side effects, similar to some powerful anti-inflammatory drugs as per the past health research (6).
Recommended: HEALTH BENEFITS OF RESVERATROL SUPPLEMENTS
Hence, the use of turmeric is beneficial for our body to stay away from chronic inflammation, the primary reason behind many common Western diseases like heart disease.
Turmeric Boosts Antioxidant Capacity in our Body
Oxidative damage may cause many health problems and diseases in our body, along with the aging. This is due to the increased amount of free radicals in our body, which react with other organic substances like fatty acids, proteins, etc., in our body.
As per some health studies, the use of turmeric is beneficial for our body as it contains powerful antioxidants that protect or frees our body from harmful free radicals by neutralizing them. It also aids our body's own antioxidant enzymes.
Curcumin Lower Risk of Brain Diseases, Improves Brain functioning
The decrease in the level of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) hormone causes various brain disorders, including depression and Alzheimer's diseases in our body, according to trusted health studies (7).
Recommended: HEALTH BENEFITS OF CHLORELLA SUPERFOOD
The use of curcumin or turmeric is beneficial, increasing the level of the brain hormone BDNF, which help us fight from various brain diseases (8).
Curcumin Lowers Risk of Heart Disease in our Body
Heart disease is very complex as various things contribute to its rooting in our body. As per a reliable health study (9), curcumin is beneficial for our body to reverse the process of heart disease formation in our body.
The use of curcumin leads to improvements in endothelial function, a significant cause of heart disease in our body.
Curcumin also minimizes excessive inflammation and oxidation, which also contributes to heart disease in our body.
Turmeric Prevent our body from Cancer
According to a reliable health research study (10) result, Curcumin has been found useful in cancer treatment as it affected the growth, development, and spread of cancer at the molecular level in the body.
Recommended: HEALTH BENEFITS OF RAW ORGANIC CACAO
Multiple health studies also indicated that curcumin could reduce the growth of cancerous cells from our body; hence, it can be used for cancer treatment in promising health research studies are made further related to curcumin and its effect on cancer.
Curcumin helps in Preventing and Treating Alzheimer's Disease
Alzheimer's disease is commonly found in neurodegenerative disease and a leading cause of dementia across the globe. Fortunately, the use of curcumin present in turmeric prevent our body from Alzheimer's disease due to its inflammatory and oxidative properties, according to health studies.
According to a health research study (11), curcumin also helps clear amyloid plaques from our body, which is a primary cause of Alzheimer's disease in our body.
It can be summarized that both turmeric and its active compound curcumin have many scientifically-proven health benefits that help humankind fighting against diseases like Alzheimer's, cancer, and many other heart or brain diseases.
If you are looking to add turmeric/curcumin supplement to your daily meal, then Pure Turmeric Root Extract supplement is an excellent option for you.
Pure Turmeric Root Extract powder is sourced organically and provides all the key benefits of turmeric/curcumin. Its capsules contain 95% curcuminoid extract, good enough to keep you fit, healthy, and your body away from severe diseases like Alzheimer's, arthritis, depression, anxiety, and other heart or brain problems.
(1) PMC (e.d.). Role of curcumin in systemic and oral health: An overview from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3633300/
(2) PubMed (e.d.). From Curcumin content of turmeric and curry powders. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17044766
(3) PubMed (e.d.). Inflammation in atherosclerosis. from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12490960
(4) PubMed (e.d.). Inflammation and cancer. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12490959
(5) PubMed (e.d.). Inflammatory links between obesity and metabolic disease From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21633179
(6) PMC (e.d.) Curcumin: A Review of Its’ Effects on Human Health From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/
(7) Science Direct (e.d.). Alterations of serum levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in depressed patients with or without antidepressants From https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006322303001811
(8) ScienceDirect (e.d.). Curcumin reverses the effects of chronic stress on behavior, the HPA axis, BDNF expression and phosphorylation of CREB From https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006899306027144
(9) PMC (e.d.). Brain-derived Neurotrophic Factor From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2504526/
(10) PubMed (e.d.). Curcumin and cancer: an "old-age" disease with an "age-old" solution. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18462866
(11) PubMed (e.d.). Curcuminoids enhance amyloid-beta uptake by macrophages of Alzheimer's disease patients. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16988474
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Blog Articles
Legumes are an integral part of vegetarians' and vegans' food routine. They help reach our fibre, carbohydrates and protein intake. Find out how to add and consume them daily with these 5 tips.