Oil-Free Crispy Sweet Potato Balls
Can Oil-Free and Crispy go in the same title of a recipe?
Those delicious and crispy sweet potato balls will make you change your mind if you think they can't!
They are the perfect side dish to your pasta, the main topping for your Buddha bowl, and can be the star of your dish if you eat more of them with vegetables on the side.
No-oil is needed in this recipe. Of course, Oil can be healthy in moderation and provides nutrients, but often they are unnecessary and contributes to empty calories that add up quickly in a day.
This vegan side dish/main course will keep you full for a great moment since it has lots of fibers, complex carbs, and proteins. Macronutrients are not all, the micros provided by the sweet potatoes, the spinach, garlic, and nutritional yeast are not neglectable.
Ingredients (Serve 18-20 balls)
3 Medium Steamed Sweet Potatoes
2 Large Handful of Spinach
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 can Red Kidney Bean (No salt added)
1 tsp. Himalayan Pink Salt
0.5 tsp. Pepper
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Onion Powder
2 tsp. Roasted pepper and garlic seasoning (optional)
1 Tbsp. Basil
5 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
2 Large Bread's Slice (3/4 cup once in crumbs)
1. Preheat oven to 450F
2. Steamed the sweet potatoes if not already done
3. Sliced your spinach and minced the garlic. In a non-stick pan over medium heat, add garlic and saute with a 3-4 tbsp of water for few minutes. Add your sliced spinach and saute again until everything is soft. Remove from heat.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the red kidney beans (Rinsed and drained). Mash until it forms a smooth consistency and then add sweet potatoes and mash again until soft and uniform.
5. Add all spices, nutritional yeast, and the spinach and garlic mixture. Mash until everything is well combined.
6. Roll the potato mixture into 1 inch sized balls and in a separate bowl, add the breadcrumbs to roll them in. You can toast the bread of put it in the oven until crispy, then blend it to create breadcrumbs. Nicely coated each ball with breadcrumbs and place on a lined baking sheet.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Turn to broil on and bake for another 5 -7 minutes or just until the heads of the balls start to become golden (This creates the crispy shell).
8. Serve with your favorite sauce: Marinara, Vegan Chipotle Mayo, etc...
* Keeps in fridge for 5-6 days in an airtight container
Comments will be approved before showing up.