Maca Root: 7 Surprising Health Benefits of Maca For Men and Women
Maca root is the root produced from a Peruvian plant of the same name. It is primarily used as a vegetable in cooking.
The use of Maca root plant is also common in powder form to add nutritional benefits to meals, smoothies and recipes.
Yes, Maca has amazing nutritional benefits. In addition to being a very good source of Iron, Vitamin C, and Copper, it also contains moderate amounts of Potassium, Vitamin B6 and Manganese. Also, it’s a brilliant natural source of plant protein. (1)
Due to the earthy and raw natural taste of Maca superfood, most people prefer not to eat it directly but as a part of meals such as oatmeal or smoothies.
Maca is known to have amazing medicinal benefits, especially for increasing fertility, energy and stamina.
Let’s get to know about some other benefits of Maca Root in detail.
1. High Nutritional Value
As mentioned before, the Maca root plant is rich in a variety of minerals and nutrients such as protein, vitamins, iron, and manganese.
A major part of Maca root is carbs, but it also has a good content of other important vitamins and minerals, as follows:
Each 100 gm of maca root powder has:
- Calories: 325
- Carbs: 70 grams
- Protein: 14 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Fat: 4 gram
- Vitamin C: 475% of the DV
- Copper: 300% of the DV
- Iron: 82% of the DV
- Potassium: 57% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 57% of the DV
- Manganese: 39% of the DV
Being low in fat and rich in fiber and carbs, this Raw Organic Maca Root Powder is key to a healthy lifestyle.
2. Improves Fertility
Research shows that maca root is particularly effective in naturally increasing men’s fertility by improving sperm quality and quantity. (2)
3. Beneficial in Menopause
Menopause is when estrogen in women starts decreasing because of a permanent stop of menstrual periods. This results in a number of side-effects such as vaginal dryness, irritation, sleep problems, among others.
Studies have confirmed that maca supplement helps lower menopausal symptoms and may also improve bone health. Maca nutrition is healthy for women, so they should include it in the diet. (3)
Recommended: 5 WELLNESS HABITS FOR A SMOOTH TRANSITION TO FALL
4. Boosts Energy and Performance
Many athletes and health-conscious people use maca as a way to boost energy and increase strength.
Some studies in animals also suggest that it may improve endurance performance. (4)
5. Improves Memory
Maca is also often related to brain functions.
In fact, Peru natives have been using it to improve memory and performance of their children for many years.
Black maca is said to be more effective for boosting memory as compared to other varieties.
6. Improves Mood
According to some studies, Maca can help improve mood by reducing the symptoms of anxiety and depression, especially in menopausal women facing issues of sexual dysfunction.
Flavonoids in the maca plant are known to be somewhat responsible for having positive physiological effects in users.
7. Sun Protection
A study on the effect of maca against UVB rays on mice shows that the application of raw maca extract on the skin may help protect it from the harmful UV radiation. (5)
How To Use Maca Root Powder
Maca is best used in the form of maca powder with your meal. You can add it to recipes like oatmeal, smoothies, juice, baked recipes and more.
MACA ROOT INFOGRAPHIC
(1) SelfNutritionData (e.d.). Maca Powder Nutrition Facts & Calories From https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/2193874/0
(2) Natural Fertility Info (e.d.). Maca study reveals increase in sperm production and libido From https://natural-fertility-info.com/maca-study-reveals-increase-in-sperm-production-and-libido.html
(3) PubMed (e.d.). Maca (Lepidium meyenii) for treatment of menopausal symptoms: A systematic review. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21840656
(4) PubMed (e.d.). A pilot investigation into the effect of maca supplementation on physical activity and sexual desire in sportsmen. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19781622
(5) Cosmetics & Toiletries (e.d.). Peruvian Maca Takes Root in Skin Care From https://www.cosmeticsandtoiletries.com/formulating/function/active/38496799.html
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Blog Articles
Legumes are an integral part of vegetarians' and vegans' food routine. They help reach our fibre, carbohydrates and protein intake. Find out how to add and consume them daily with these 5 tips.