All About Acai - 7 Surprising Health Benefits of Acai Berries
Since a long time ago, fruits have been eaten by us humans as one of the primary sources for nutrients such as minerals, vitamins, fiber, among others.
Acai berries are one such fruit that is also sometimes known as a “Superfood” because of its amazing nutrient content and health benefits.
In this article, we will discuss some of the major benefits of acai berries and the best ways to use these super-fruits in our daily diet.
What Are Acai Berries?
The acai berry is a round-shaped and dark red-colored fruit that grows on the acai palm tree. It is considered one of the healthiest berry fruits to eat because of its great nutritional value.
Nutritional Value of Acai Berries
Each 100g of pure (unsweetened) acai berry contains the following nutrients: (1)
- Calories - 70
- Protein - 1g
- Fiber - 2g
- Vitamin A - 750IU (15% of DV)
- Carbohydrate - 4g
- Calcium - 20mg
- Sodium - 10mg
- Fat - 5g
Recommended: HEALTH BENEFITS OF RAW CACAO POWDER
Health Benefits of Acai Berries
By now, you must have started wondering how acai berries can help improve your overall health. So, without further ado, here you go.
1. High Amount of Antioxidants
Acai berries are considered one of the best natural sources of antioxidants.
Antioxidants are what keeps our body-safe against the oxidative damage incurred by free radicals present in toxins that get accumulated in our body over time.
Moreover, antioxidants in acai berry are known to be a natural way to detoxify our body of harmful organisms and toxins.
2. Beneficial in Heart Problems
A study on rats revealed that acai extract may help in cardiac dysfunction and other heart-related problems. They are actively used in the treatment of cardiac hypertrophy and several other heart-related diseases. (2)
The high antioxidant and anthocyanin content in acai may also help promote overall heart conditions in humans.
3. Diabetes and Weight Loss
A study on overweight people showed that the regular consumption of raw acai berry pulp helps reduce blood sugar, cholesterol, and insulin content in the body. (3)
A separate study shows that the fatty acid and fiber present in acai berries are beneficial in reducing weight by increasing metabolism and reducing food cravings. (4)
Recommended: HEALTH BENEFITS OF MACA POWDER
4. Improves Digestion
Thanks to the good content of fiber, these berries may also help improve digestion and prevent constipation and related problems. Moreover, it also helps increase the assimilation of nutrients, ensuring that your body gets the most out of whatever you eat.
Because of its natural detoxification benefit, acai berry is also commonly used for treating diarrhea.
5. Cancer treatment
A study claims that acai berries can be used for developing chemopreventive medication for the treatment of several types of cancers. (5)
Another study discusses the anti-inflammatory properties of acai berries for the prevention of colon cancer. (6)
6. Skin Benefits
Acai berries have a high content of many important vitamins and minerals that can improve your skin health.
Antioxidants in acai berries help reduce aging signs by preventing the effects of free radicals.
These fruits can also help with other skin problems such as scars, acne, dehydration, pigmentation, etc.
Recommended: MYTHS ABOUT PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS INTAKE
7. Hair Benefits
One more way acai berries benefit our body and health is by naturally improving the health of hair, making them stronger and shinier.
Research shows that these berries are helpful in improving hair strength, hair growth and also boosts scalp health.
Wondering about the best way to add acai berries to your diet? Here are some tips to get started.
Besides fruits, raw acai berry powder is one of the best ways to add this highly-nutrient food to your diet. Just make sure that the powder you use is organically produced and contains no harmful agents.
You can take acai berry powder by adding to your shake, juice or any other recipe you prefer.
Acai Berries Health Benefits Infographic:
(1) Nutrition Data (n.d.). Pure acai berry unsweetened From https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/2792035/2
(2) PubMed (n.d.) Oral treatment with Euterpe oleracea Mart. (açaí) extract improves cardiac dysfunction and exercises intolerance in rats subjected to myocardial infarction. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25000822/
(3) PubMed (e.d.). Effects of Açai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) berry preparation on metabolic parameters in a healthy overweight population: a pilot study. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21569436/
(4) WebMD (e.d.). Acai: Weight Loss Wonder Fruit? From https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/features/acai-weight-loss-wonder-fruit
(5) PubMed (e.d.). Cytotoxic effects of Euterpe oleracea Mart. in malignant cell lines. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24886139
(6) PubMed (e.d.). Pro-apoptotic activities of polyphenolics from açai (Euterpe oleracea Martius) in human SW-480 colon cancer cells. From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25329001
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.