Lemon Water Why It’s Good For You!
What Exactly Is A Lemon Water Drink?
It is simply it, the juice from lemon mixed with water. It is a healthy, low-calorie, low-sugar, simple and cheap drink you can make at home in no time. Lemons are among the world's most popular citrus fruits and for good reasons; they are full of vitamins and minerals.
Drinking lemon water will increase your vitamin C intake, also known as ascorbic acid or L-ascorbic, which is one of the most important antioxidants and one that your body cannot produce; you need to get vitamin C from food or supplements.
A lemon drink can be quite nutritious; a quarter cup of lemon juice contains only 13 calories and an impressive 31% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C, 3% of folate and 2% of potassium (1).
Why is Lemon Water Good For You
Is drinking lemon juice good for you? Here are the several health benefits of drinking lemon juice:
Boost energy level
While many of us rely on coffee first thing in the morning to boost our energy, it is important to note that coffee is a diuretic that depletes your body of water reserves. After a long night of sleep, it is important to replenish your body of nutrients and a lemon water drink could be a great option to hydrate your body and boost your energy level.
The next time you feel exhausted when waking up in the morning give a cup of fresh lemon water juice a try, this might exactly be what your body needed.
Recommended: SUPERCHARGE YOUR MORNING WITH THESE SUPERFOODS
Boost Immune System
Vitamin C contributes to immune defense by supporting various cellular functions (2). "There is good evidence taking vitamin C for colds and flu can reduce the risk of developing further complications, such as pneumonia and lung infections," says a researcher from the University of Michigan (3).
5 Easy Steps
A warm lemon water drink is a great addition to any healthy morning routine. It is important to mention that the citric acid from the lemon juice could wear down the enamel on your teeth, I recommend you drink your lemon juice water through a straw. These are the five easy steps I have been following and recommend to my clients:
- Get the kettle ready
- Pour warm water into a cup
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon
- Drink through a bamboo straw
- Repeat the following morning
The future looks bright for lemon water drinks to promote good health mainly due to its high vitamin C content. The study researcher Mark Moyad, MD, MPH, of the University of Michigan says "The more we study vitamin C, the better our understanding of how diverse it is in protecting our health, from cardiovascular, cancer, stroke, eye health [and] immunity to living longer" (4).
(1) The World's Healthiest Foods. (n.d.). Lemons and Limes: In-depth nutrient profile. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=44
(2) Carr, A. C., & Maggini, S. (2017, November 03). Vitamin C and Immune Function. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29099763
(3) Zelman, K. M. (2010, January). The Benefits of Vitamin C - What can vitamin C do for your health? Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-benefits-of-vitamin-c#2
(4) Zelman, K. M. (2010, January). The Benefits of Vitamin C - What can vitamin C do for your health? Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-benefits-of-vitamin-c#1
NOTE: ALL MATERIAL AND INFORMATION CONTAINED IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. THE INFORMATION IN MY ARTICLES ARE NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE A ONE-ON-ONE RELATIONSHIP WITH A QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL AND ARE NOT INTENDED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.
COPYRIGHT JESSICA GARNEAU, ND. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Laisser un commentaire
Les commentaires sont approuvés avant leur publication.